Are you a fan of the Rane Sixty-Four and/or Sixty-Two and its tight integration with Serato software but prefer using Traktor? Fear not, we're here to make your life a little easier by sharing a mapping we whipped up which gives you control of Traktor's main functions right at your fingertips.
What you may or may not need
The Sixty-Four and Sixty-Two are not certified Traktor mixers but that doesn't mean a Traktor user can't reap the benefits of controlling the software directly from them. If you prefer using traditional turntables and/or CD players you will still need to use a Native Instruments sound card but if you are using HID CD players and/or a MIDI controller there is no need for one. Simply plug your computer directly into the Sixty-Four or Sixty-Two and set up the routing options in the preferences of Traktor. Regardless of the sources you use to manipulate Traktor's virtual decks the mapping and instruction provided below will turn your Rane mixer into a badass integrated Traktor controller.
For more information about setting up Traktor with HID compatible decks, read our We Love HID blog post.
Download, install, and setup
Download the Traktor mappings here:
Once downloaded, follow these steps to install it:
- Open Traktor's preferences by clicking on the wheel icon in the upper right corner of the screen.
- Click on the Controller Manager section.
- Click the 'Add' tab and choose 'Import'.
- Navigate to the .tsi file that was downloaded and choose to 'open' it.
- Make sure the In-Port and Out-Port are set to the Sixty-Four or Sixty-Two.Note: I would suggest setting the In and Out Ports for any other MIDI controllers you aren't using to "none". This is to ensure those mappings don't interfere with the Rane mixer mapping.
As previously mentioned, if you are using DVS you will still need to use a Native instruments sound card but if you are using HID CD players or MIDI controllers you can route the audio from Traktor directly to the Rane mixer. This will require the use of Core Audio (Mac) or ASIO (PC) drivers that can be downloaded here:
Note: If you are using DVS with a Native Instruments sound card you do not need to install these drivers. Simply plug the NI sound card into the Sixty-Two as you would with any DJ mixer.
Once installed follow these instructions to route Traktor's audio to your Rane mixer:
- Open Traktor's preference window.
- Click on the Audio Setup tab.
- Choose the Sixty-Four or Sixty-Two as the Audio Device.
- Click on the Output Routing tab.
- Choose 'External' in the Mixing Mode section.
For the Sixty-Four:
- Choose Sixty-Four Out 1/2 for Output Deck A.
- Choose Sixty-Four Out 3/4 for Output Deck B.
- Choose Sixty-Four Out 5/6 for Output Deck C.
- Choose Sixty-Four Out 7/8 for Output Deck C.
For the Sixty-Two:
- Choose Sixty-Two Out 1/2 for Output Deck A.
- Choose Sixty-Two Out 3/4 for Output Deck B.
- If you would like to run a third deck out of the Aux output of the Sixty-Two choose Sixty-Two Out 5/6 for Output Deck C.
- Last but not least, if your computer is plugged into USB A on your Rane mixer, set the Source knobs on the top of the mixer to A. If you are plugged into USB B set them to B.
The mapping break downs
You can download a larger version of either mapping image here:
Additional note: Make sure the "User Button Lighting" option is checked within the Sixty-Two's Preference Pane through System Preferences (Mac) or the Control Panel (PC). This will ensure the lights that represent Cues present in Traktor will stay on when the cue is triggered from the mixer.
Now you are ready to enjoy using Traktor software with one of the best mixers in the world.